Minnesota Department of Transportation
Date: Nov. 21, 2016
Contact: Rebecca Arndt, 507-304-6106
MnDOT and city of New Ulm offer opportunity for input on Hwy 14/15 project
MANKATO, Minn. – The Minnesota Department of Transportation and the city of New Ulm are hosting an open house and public hearing on the Highway 14/15 New Ulm Gateway Project on Tuesday, December 6 at the New Ulm City Hall, 100 N. Broadway. Open house will be held from 3:00 to 4:30 p.m. and the public hearing will begin at 5 p.m. in the Council Chambers.
The Highway 14 project, expected to begin in the fall of 2017, includes work on three bridges, 7th St. street scape, and landscaping. The open house will provide an opportunity to review and provide input on the final layout and recommendations for the streetscape and aesthetic recommendations. The public hearing is an opportunity to officially comment before the New Ulm Council considers approval of the work within the city limits.
The project includes:
- Two-lane bridge over the Minnesota River with a substructure that can be expanded to four lanes
- Two-lane bridge over Front Street designed for four lane expansion adjacent to the structure
- An interchange (bridge) at the intersection of Highways 14 and 15 and Nicollet County Road 21 (Y intersection)
- Roundabout at the Highway 14 and Front Street intersection
- Reconstruction of Highway 14 (7th Street) between Broadway and Front Street including city water main and sanitary sewer replacement
- Raising Highway 14 and Highway 15 to be above the 100-yr flood elevation
- A trail on the north side of the Highway from German Street to the interchange
- Removal of the existing truck station outside of town
Additional opportunities for public input during this final design phase includes construction staging workshops in early 2017 and a public open house in late summer 2017 to review the final construction staging and schedule.
Highway 14 project designs for the New Ulm area can also be found at www.mndot.gov/newulm.